Signed policy



This policy is intended to provide guidance for identifying, controlling, disposal, and assigning responsibility for
University property.


The University of Alabama’s Property and Inventory Management (PIM) Department is responsible for ensuring that
adequate accountability systems are established and administered for University and sponsoring agency equipment.
PIM is also responsible for providing a public record of state or federal property, as specified in Federal Acquisition
Regulation (FAR), Part 45, “Government Property”; Title 2, Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), Chapter II, Part 200.

This policy is applicable to all equipment purchases, regardless of the funding source, including but not limited to the

• Equipment purchased from any University fund, including grant, state, or gift funds,
• Equipment donated or transferred to the University by external entities, and
• Equipment purchased by related foundations for use by the University.

Threshold and Inventory Control Requirements
Property Subject to Inventory Control should satisfy the following requirements in order to be included:
• Moveable (not permanently affixed to a building or structure)
• Have a life expectancy of one (1) year or more
• Have an acquisition value of $5,000 or greater
• An identity not altered materially through use

Examples of property subject to inventory control would typically include office equipment, lab equipment, scientific
equipment, tools and machinery, recreation equipment, kitchen equipment, maintenance/janitorial equipment,
vehicles, and other general equipment. Property not subject to inventory control includes categories such as land,
buildings, fixed equipment, intangible assets, software, library books, collections, audio visual systems (individual
moveable items used separately from the system that meet the threshold are included), furniture (individual moveable
items over the threshold are included), access control equipment, servers, blades, and switches. Examples of items
excluded from University inventory are water heaters, built-in appliances, central air-conditioning systems,
boilers/chillers; consumable supplies classified as “expense” rather than “equipment” such as glass, cloth, rubber,
filament and inflatable products; repair and replacement parts; tool kits or assortments of small hand tools; and toys
used for instructional or recreational purpose.

Resolution of specific situations where the status of a piece of equipment is questionable as to whether it is “fixed” or
“moveable” will be left to the discretion of PIM. Decisions will be made on the most consistent basis possible.
If a piece of equipment was classified as University-Controlled property or University-Owned property at the time it was
purchased but property or University-Owned property will be removed from the University inventory. Effective Oct. 1, 2005, The
University of Alabama threshold set by The Board of Trustees is $5,000 or more.

Assignment of Responsibilities
University Vice Presidents are charged with ultimate responsibility for ensuring compliance with the laws regarding
equipment inventory. University Vice Presidents have delegated this authority to the appropriate department head, who
will appoint Property Managers.

1. Purchaser
The individual who purchases the item is responsible for reporting all necessary information to PIM. This includes
purchases of components that may be assembled to create an item with an combined value that would exceed $5,000.

2. Department Head
The department head may delegate the authority for property responsibilities and assign it to any employee(s) within
their division who will be the designated “Property Manager” in addition to any other titles they may hold. A current
master list should be forwarded to PIM by each department head and updated on an ongoing basis. A list of all persons
who have been designated by their Property Manager to act as representatives will likewise be maintained by the
appropriate office and PIM. Should the responsibilities of Property Manager be assigned to another person, immediately
notify PIM.

3. Property Manager
Property Managers’ will, in addition to the responsibilities they may already hold, represent their respective
departments in all property-related matters. Each Property Manager has the primary responsibility for the custody,
care, maintenance, and control of property assigned to their respective area. PIM will consider Property Managers as
the initial point of contact and responsible party for departmental property inventories. The physical counts for the
physical inventory are the responsibility of the departmental Property Managers, and shall be subject to subsequent
verification by PIM. Property managers should keep records up-to-date and be ready for internal or external auditors at
any time. Additional responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following duties:

-Assisting PIM in locating, accessing, and tagging capital equipment.
-Verifying capital equipment during inventory.
-Reporting to PIM acquisitions of equipment not processed through the Procurement department.
-Reporting to PIM relocations of equipment.
-Reporting to PIM transfers or loans of equipment.
-Reporting to PIM missing or lost equipment.
-Reporting to UAPD and PIM stolen equipment.
-Assisting in all internal and external audits and responding to any audit findings.
-Enforcing all UA equipment policies and procedures.
-Securing equipment properly.
-Ensuring property for the University is used for its intended purposes and not removing property from campus
-except for official University business, and with prior written approval, as per PIM procedures.
-Using and maintaining property in an appropriate manner. Property may not be sold, traded, thrown away or
-disposed of in any manner without the prior written authorization of PIM.
-Ensuring that property is returned promptly from employee separation from the University.
-Taking reasonable security precautions to discourage loss, theft, or misuse of property.
-Turning in abandoned and/or found property to PIM.
-Contact PIM for guidance in property-related matters.

4. Department
Each department must maintain a separate and complete listing of property acquired from any federal, state or other
entity that is not titled to UA. Documentation should include make, model, serial number, and any other identifiable
information about the property. It is the responsibility of the department and/or PIM to ensure property acquired from
any of these entities is accounted for and disposed of in the appropriate manner, including removal of any non-UA
property tags, data or other identifiable information. PIM will not accept or dispose of property titled to another entity
without appropriate documentation and approval from such entity.

5. Procurement Services
Procurement Services is responsible for acquiring equipment, ensuring the appropriate account codes are used, and
supplying all information necessary for accountability.

6. Contract & Grant Accounting/Office for Sponsored Programs
Contract and Grant Accounting/Office for Sponsored Programs is responsible for determining ownership of property
transferred to UA in conjunction with a grant or contract.

7. Financial Accounting & Reporting (FAR)
FAR is responsible for notifying PIM of gifts received and providing the necessary information to record the gift. In
addition, FAR advises PIM on the capitalization and depreciation of equipment.

8. Property & Inventory Management
PIM is responsible for assigning asset tag numbers to each item received, updating the master asset files and
maintaining all property records. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following duties:

-Identifying equipment to be inventoried
-Assigning an inventory control number
-Affixing an inventory control tag
-Recording all acquired equipment into the asset reporting system
-Recording monthly depreciation/capitalization of equipment
-Maintaining data in the asset reporting system
-Disposing of or re-utilizing surplus equipment
-Training and orientation of property managers
-Making periodic physical inventories
-Providing year-end reporting information
-Assisting with internal and external audits

Transfer of Property Management Responsibility

The appropriate department head appointing authority of the Property Manager shall be responsible for requesting a
complete physical inventory prior to impending personnel changes of the department head, the Property Manager, or in
other situations where deemed necessary. At the time a Property Manager within a division or department is relieved of
property management responsibilities, for whatever reason, the Property Manager will conduct a physical inventory of
all property subject to inventory control. This should occur prior to the Property Manager being formally relieved of
property management responsibilities. The department head in charge of the division should appoint a succeeding
Property Manager. The succeeding Property Manager and the departing Property Manager shall conduct a joint physical
inventory of all inventoried property within the department or division. As with other inventories, all items will be
identified as being on hand; or, if not, should be properly reported as lost, stolen, destroyed, obsolete, or otherwise
missing. The succeeding Property Manager shall sign a transfer acknowledging receipt of all equipment shown on the
verified inventory and then shall assume the responsibilities of Property Manager. The department head should
complete the Property Manager Information Form notifying PIM of the change in Property Manager.

Property Managers are responsible for ensuring that equipment is acquired, inventoried, accounted for, and ultimately
disposed of according to policy. As a result, newly appointed Property Managers and/or designated representative(s) are
required to attend a training session. Property Managers should also view training as a continual process and it is
expected that they will participate in refresher training on a regular basis.

Equipment is recorded at cost, which is the amount invoiced less all discounts plus any freight and installation costs.
To facilitate tagging, reporting and capitalization of equipment, account codes in the 791XXX range should be used on
any individual capital equipment purchase of $5,000 or more. Proper coding is essential to ensure that the equipment is
included in the University’s inventory. If Procurement Services or PIM discovers that an incorrect account code has been
used prior to an order being placed, PIM will contact the initiator to replace the incorrect account code with the
appropriate one. If the error is discovered after that time, it will be necessary for the initiator to ensure that the
correction is made to the appropriate account code. Initiator must forward a copy of documentation of the change to
PIM upon completion.

Each UA department is responsible for receiving and physically examining the property acquired from the vendor,
ensuring that it is in good condition and delivering the property to the appropriate area.
Property can be acquired by the following means:

1. Purchase/Acquisitions
The purchase of equipment is made via purchase order, procurement card, Buy BAMA, Supply Store, Alabama State
Agency for Surplus Property, and lease/purchase agreements. Departments wishing to purchase equipment from the
Alabama State Agency for Surplus Property are invited to do so in accordance with established University policy.

Equipment acquired from the Alabama State Agency for Surplus Property is tagged and recorded in accordance with the
restrictions placed on the use of such equipment. These restrictions apply where the government’s initial acquisition
cost is $5,000 or more and passenger motor vehicles regardless of cost. The restriction period runs for 18 months from
the date of purchase, during which time this equipment must be used in its original form (i.e. it cannot be used for
secondary utilization). This restriction applies except where prior written approval to cannibalize a piece of equipment
has been granted by the Alabama State Agency for Surplus Property.

Equipment acquired via lease/purchase agreements falls within the category of “University-owned property” and is
subject to the controls and restrictions as stated in the “Definitions” section. As such, the Property Manager is
responsible for this equipment. Equipment acquired in this manner will be added to the appropriate departmental
inventory file at the time that the initial payment occurs. If the lease/purchase agreement is terminated prior to
fulfillment, it is the Property Manager’s responsibility to advise PIM of that fact in order that UA property tag and other
markings may be removed and the equipment deleted from the department’s inventory records.

2. Transfers to UA from other entities

When equipment is transported to the University in conjunction with the transfer, PIM should be notified of any items
valued at $5,000 or more so they can be recorded in the fixed asset system. The following information should be

Description of the property
• Make, model, year and serial number
• Current location
• Current value of property and how value was determined
• Department FOAPAL information
• Correspondence regarding transfer of ownership
• Other pertinent information

It is the responsibility of the recipient department to notify PIM and Contract and Grant Accounting of any equipment
received by grant or contract transfer. Once the information has been received, Contract and Grant Accounting and/or
Office of Sponsored Programs will notate federal, state, or other ownership. PIM will label the equipment with
University property tag and any special label supplied stating ownership.

3. Gifts/Donations
It is the Property Manager’s responsibility to notify the Office of Advancement Services utilizing the Gift Transmittal
Deposit Form when equipment is received as a gift from an outside source. PIM will be notified of the receipt of
equipment as a gift by the Financial Accounting and Reporting and will record the equipment received to the
appropriate departmental inventory as long as the equipment is valued at $5,000 or more. Donated equipment is
recorded at acquisition value as of the date of the donation.

4. Fabrication
At the discretion of PIM, items of equipment that are fabricated by any University department will be tagged and
considered moveable equipment. Fabricated equipment includes all direct costs associated with the fabrication and
installation of the item. If the fabrication cost of these items exceeds $5,000 these items would generally fall in the
category of property subject to inventory control. It is the responsibility of the Property Manager to make PIM aware of
equipment items fabricated by and/or for them.

5. Consignments or Loans of Equipment to UA
Equipment acquired by departments through consignment or loan from other entities will be required to report the
item(s) to PIM by the recipient department. The same information should be provided as described above in the
“Transfers to UA from other entities” section.

A permanent property tag will be issued when an item has been invoiced, paid, and received or installed. Positive
identification of equipment is accomplished by the permanent affixing of small tags to each item of equipment. Each tag
has a unique barcode with an identification number. When practical, the tag will be placed near the manufacturer’s
plate that includes name, serial number, and model number. In addition to the tag, the property number will be written
on the asset when possible. For those items that cannot be physically tagged (ie. equipment that may be sensitive or
whose value may be diminished by affixing a tag), the tag will be given to the responsible department Property Manager
for safekeeping. With the exception of trade-ins and disposals, the tag should not be removed or otherwise altered once

The need to respond to audits by internal and external auditors, State Examiners and grant sponsors requires UA to
maintain an equipment inventory that it can account for and report the location of capital equipment. Federal and state
regulations dictate that a complete physical inventory of all equipment items under each University department’s
accountability be taken at least once every other year. The Property Manager should follow good business practice of
performing periodic self-audits of inventory. PIM will conduct a physical inventory of the University’s moveable fixed
assets annually. PIM shall be responsible for establishing and announcing each physical inventory period. In January of
each year, PIM will inform each departmental Property Manager of the upcoming inventory. PIM employees will verify
all items on the University inventory with the only exception being items located off campus. This process will be
completed by the end of July of each year.

If it is determined during inventory process that assets are lost, missing, or stolen, PIM will instruct the Property
Manager of the necessary steps outlined in the section Loss, Theft, or Destruction. If the Property Manager does not
take the necessary steps, the department head will be notified. If appropriate action is still not taken, the respective Vice
President, Associate Provost or Senior Executive Director will be notified. In the event compliance with University policy
Property Management Policies and Procedures| Page 6 of 11
is not followed, the Senior Executive Director of Logistics and Support Services shall notify UAPD and request an
investigation of the loss.

PIM may arrange periodic inventory verifications, other than the planned annual inventory, with the department
Property Manager. To the extent possible, these verifications shall be arranged at mutually agreeable times. A
representative of PIM will conduct these inventory verifications with the assistance of the Property Manager and other
faculty and/or staff members, as needed. If it is determined that the inventory procedures maintained by the Property
Manager were inadequate, PIM will review the matter with the Property Manager. Unresolved discrepancies will be
reported to the appropriate department head.

Property may be transferred from one building to another or one room to another within the same department.
Departments wishing to have equipment under their control moved from one room/building to another may do so and
notify PIM by preparing a Transaction Form and checking the appropriate box. It is the responsibility of the Property
Manager to complete, sign, and forward the form to PIM to update the location in the fixed asset system. If the
assistance of Logistics and Support Services is needed to accomplish the move, departmental personnel should schedule
moves directly with Logistics and Support Services by entering a customer request via the University work order system.
This procedure is to be followed where the desired goal is to change the building or room location only. Accountability
for this equipment remains with the department on whose inventory it appears.

Transfer of UA Equipment
Property may be transferred from one department to another and from one building to another within the same
department. Property can also be loaned to other University of Alabama departments.

1. Transfers to Other Departments
Transfer of excess or unwanted property among departments is encouraged. Departments wishing to transfer
equipment to any other department on campus may do so through PIM.

The Property Manager of the transferring department should initiate a Transaction Form for the desired transfer for
items costing over $5,000 and/or which appear on the department inventory. This form is to be completed and signed
by the transferring and receiving Property Managers. The completed form should be forwarded to PIM. Upon receipt of
the necessary paperwork, PIM will update the fixed asset system to reflect the transfer of ownership.
Excess equipment in one department is normally transferred to other departments without charge. However, in certain
cases, the transferring department may require reimbursement from the receiving department. The receiving
department will initiate reimbursement for equipment by preparing a Departmental Transfer Authorization form. The
budget transactions will be recorded and the equipment transferred accordingly. The initial purchase price will remain
in PIM records regardless of the price payed by the new department.

2. Transfers to Surplus Property
Departments wishing to transfer excess or unwanted property to Surplus Property may do so by preparing a Transaction
Form for items whose cost is greater than $5,000. All computers (including tablets, laptops, desktops, etc.) must also be
included on a Transaction Form regardless of their original cost. For all other items, a memo, fax, or e-mail submitted
with the work order will suffice. Upon receipt of the appropriate documentation, PIM will accept the transfer of these
items. PIM will review the items to determine ownership. If the items are purchased with contract and grant funds, PIM
will contact Contract and Grant Accounting to determine how to proceed with disposal.
As stated above, the physical move should be scheduled by the department with Logistics and Support Services. Only the
specific items listed on the Transaction Form will be moved by Logistics and Support Services. Items to be moved that
are not on an equipment inventory listing should be included on the appropriate form in order to be moved.
Property Management Policies and Procedures| Page 7 of 11
When equipment is transferred to Surplus Property, the transferring department automatically relinquishes all control
over that piece of equipment. Equipment that is in the Surplus Property area is available to all departments on a firstcome,
first-served basis. Departments taking surplus capital equipment from Surplus Property must have appropriate
signatures on the Transaction Form before items can be removed.

3. Transferring Equipment Affiliated with an Active Grant
The only equipment items that are eligible for release of ownership are items that are purchased solely from an active
grant/contract or from a fixed price grant/contract that is being transferred to another institution. To initiate a request
for legal authorization to transfer equipment ownership to another institution, the department must complete a list of
ALL items to be transferred and have the department head or division head approve the list. The completed list must be
sent to Contract and Grant Accounting for approval.

When approval has been received from Contract and Grant Accounting, the list and approval must be attached to a
completed Transaction Form. The type of transaction on the form will be “Other” and indicate “Release of Ownership.”
The Transaction Form must include the description along with model number, serial number, UA property tag number
and the address of the future owner institution. Where applicable, it is especially important to provide serial numbers
on all proposed items leaving the University to ensure proper identification. If the item does not have a UA property tag,
a copy of the purchase order where the item was bought should be included. Improper or insufficient identification of
equipment requested for transfer could delay the process significantly.

The completed Transaction Form should be sent to PIM along with the approval from Contract and Grant Accounting for
the transfer. PIM will update its records accordingly. If the equipment is approved for transfer, Contract and Grant
Accounting will issue an official authorization letter. Only then can the equipment be transferred to the other institution.
No equipment can be physically moved from the University for transfer of ownership without the signed release of
equipment letter. If items were purchased with matching funds or strictly University funds, they must be put up for sale.

Loan/Removal of UA Equipment
Before any item owned by the University that is on inventory or valued at $5,000 or more leaves campus, a Transaction
Form detailing “On Loan” must be filled out and signed by the appropriate person(s) and filed with PIM. The Transaction
Form should list the period of time the equipment will be on loan. Equipment cannot be loaned for longer than a 24-
month period.

1. Loan to UA Departments
The appropriate department head signature is required on the Transaction Form before University-owned or Universitycontrolled
equipment can be loaned to other departments within the University. The receiving department borrowing
equipment must sign the Transaction Form and check the appropriate box “On Loan” acknowledging receipt of the
equipment item(s) listed. This will serve as the department’s authority to be in possession of equipment belonging to

Upon the return of loaned equipment to the University or to the appropriate department, the Property Manager will
sign and date all copies of the Transaction Form acknowledging the return of equipment items listed in good condition,
except as noted. The Transaction Form for the return item should be filed with PIM.

2. Loan to External Entities
A memo should be prepared, approved, and signed by an individual authorized by The Board of Trustees before
University-owned or University-controlled equipment can be loaned to external entities. The memo should detail the
following terms and conditions of the loan:

• The borrower must return the loan item(s) in like condition as received from UA and free from contamination on
or before the due date.

• In case of loss or damage of the property loaned, the borrower must reimburse UA at the current cost of
replacement or repair.

• The borrower assumes all costs involved in preparation, handling, loaning, disconnecting, and transportation
from and to UA.

• The borrower agrees to indemnify and hold harmless The Board of Trustees of the University of Alabama against
all liability, loss, damage, claims and costs incidental hereto as a result of borrower’s use or possession of the
loaned property; and use the loan property only for the purposes specified.

• The above property shall not be modified, loaned, or transferred to a third party without the written permission
of UA.

• The borrower shall account for, or permit inspection of, the loaned property by UA after proper notification.

• Title to the property is vested in and will remain with The University of Alabama and the property shall be used
only for official purposes.

• UA reserves the right to cancel the loan and/or to recall the property upon 30-day notice.

• In addition, the following information about the equipment must be included:

o Description of the equipment
o Make, model, year and serial number
o Address of the on-loan location
o Time period that the equipment will be on loan (cannot exceed 24 months).

The receiving entity borrowing equipment from the University must sign the memo acknowledging receipt of the
equipment item(s) listed. This will serve as the entity’s authority to be in possession of equipment belonging to UA. A
copy of the approved memo should be forwarded to PIM.

3. Removal in Performance of One’s duties
If it becomes necessary to remove University-owned or University-controlled equipment from University premises for
purposes relating to the performance of one’s duties (use the Transaction Form and check “On Loan”), the appropriate
department head’s approval must be secured prior to removal of the equipment. This permission must include, but is
not be limited to, the address of the on-loan location, the description of the equipment, manufacturer’s serial number (if
applicable) and the University identification number (property number). The Property Manager will retain the form,
subject to verification by PIM.

4. Removal for Repair
When it is necessary to return equipment to a manufacturer or service representative for repairs and it will be gone for
an extended period, the procedures outlined above will apply. The Property Manager should make a note of where the
item was sent and how long it is expected to be gone.

5. Disposal of Loaned Equipment
Loaned equipment may not be disposed of without written permission from the University loaning department and PIM.
The request must be submitted in writing and document the reason for the disposal. Without prior written approval, the
item must be sent back to the loaning department, who will send it to Surplus Property for disposal.

Loss, Theft or Destruction

1. Lost/Missing
Equipment that has not been stolen but cannot be located by the department is considered misplaced or lost. Any asset
that cannot be located after an exhaustive search must be reported as lost by the department. It is the responsibility of
each department to reconcile items not found within 30 days of becoming aware of or being notified of the missing
item(s). A Transaction Form must be completed. Check the “Lost” box on the form and list all missing items. The
appropriate department head must sign the Transaction Form.

2. Stolen
When equipment has been stolen, the Property Manager should immediately notify the UA Police Department and
request an investigation of the loss. The department should also notify the Office of Risk Management. The Property
Manager should also notify PIM by forwarding a completed Transaction Form with “Stolen” checked and a copy of the
police report of the investigation. The appropriate department head must sign the Transaction Form. When proper
paperwork has been prepared and sent to PIM, staff will complete the requirements to remove the item(s) from
inventory. Property Managers must keep a copy of all paperwork for their department records.

3. Destruction
When assets are unintentionally destroyed due to fire, flood, human error, etc., a Transaction Form must be completed
and sent to PIM. If the asset was intentionally destroyed due to vandalism or criminal activity, then a police report is
required in addition to the Transaction Form. If the destruction will be claimed against the University’s insurance, the
department should also notify the Office of Risk Management.


To obtain maximum utilization of University property, departments are encouraged to turn surplus equipment in to
Surplus Property. State and Federal law limits the means by which worn-out, surplus, or obsolete items can be disposed
of, regardless of the dollar value. Under no circumstances can a department or individual give away, take item(s) for
personal use, personal gain, or dispose of University property. PIM will determine the method of disposal.
It is the responsibility of the department to ensure property acquired from any external entity is accounted for and
disposed of in the appropriate manner, including removal of entity property tags, data or other identifiable information.
PIM will not accept or dispose of property titled to another entity without appropriate documentation and approval
from that entity. Each department is responsible for decontamination of hazardous equipment prior to disposal.
Departments must contact Environmental Health and Safety to have equipment certified/tagged as properly
decontaminated prior to removal.

Departments that want to surplus computers must ensure that all data has been removed and hard drives are either
destroyed or wiped clean. Contact a departmental Information Technology representative or the Information Security
Officer for assistance. PIM will not be responsible for data left on hard drives.
Redistribution, trade-ins, cannibalization, recycling, and public sales are the most frequently used methods of property

1. Trade-Ins
In situations where equipment on hand is traded in for the purchase of new replacement equipment, the Property
Manager will advise PIM by completing a Transaction Form and referencing the purchase order giving credit for trade-in
of equipment. The “Delete: Trade In” box should be checked on the Transaction Form. This paperwork should be
completed before the purchase of the new equipment and before the old equipment is removed from the University
campus. Trade-ins of equipment should be noted on the appropriate purchase order, referenced by property number
and serial number.

2. Obsolete or Useless
PIM will transfer equipment that is obsolete or has been rendered useless to Surplus Property for disposal regardless of
the dollar value. Transfers of equipment that are obsolete or useless are handled by the Property Manager using the
same procedures required for transfers to Surplus Property.

3. Cannibalization
Departments who want to cannibalize University-owned property on their inventories must first receive written
permission from the responsible department head. To secure this permission, a Transaction Form with “Delete:
Cannibalized” checked should be completed and approved. The Property Manager is responsible for ensuring that the

Transaction Form is forwarded to PIM. All requests for cannibalization disposal of property purchased via the Alabama
State Agency will be coordinated through PIM. After approval has been received, the Property Manager should complete
a Transaction Form to remove the item from the department’s inventory records. After expiration of the restriction
period, departments who want to cannibalize equipment acquired from the Alabama State Agency must apply in writing
to PIM for permission to do so.

4. Sales

PIM will handle the sale of all inventoried and non-inventoried equipment and items in accordance with state laws
pertaining to the disposal of surplus property and any policy pertaining to contracts and grants such as 2 CFR 200, FAR
Part 45, and grant agreements. PIM will review the items to determine ownership. If the items are purchased on
contract and grant funds, PIM will contact Contract and Grant Accounting to determine how to proceed with disposal.

The Property Manager of the department wishing to sell items of value should submit a Transaction Form requesting
that the item(s) listed be advertised for public sale. Items of value include those that are listed on the moveable fixed
asset inventory, vehicles, items that by themselves would bring considerable value in a public sale such as athletic
equipment or facilities equipment (ie. chillers), and items that other departments on campus have expenses to collect as
directed by the University leadership (ie. abandoned bicycles).

The Transaction Form should contain a complete description of each item to be sold, including its corresponding make,
model, serial number, and UA property number, if applicable. The working condition of the item and any user manuals
should also be included. The Property Manager must sign the Transaction Form. PIM must receive the approved
Transaction Form prior to advertisement for sale.

PIM will retain a portion of all sales of items on inventory to defray the handling costs. The following rates will apply for
Capital Equipment/Property: 17% of the proceeds from the sale of vehicles and 9.5% of the proceeds from the sale of all
other items plus expenses related to the sale. Proceeds will initially be deposited into the PIM account and, once all
proceeds for the public sale are received, an entry will be made to provide departments with the funds they are due the
month following the surplus sale. Sales from all items other than capital equipment will be retained within PIM.


Capital Equipment/Property – Any apparatus, instrument, appliance, item of machinery, or piece of furniture costing
$5,000 or more that is moveable.

University-Owned Property – all property acquired by the University by whatever means, with title to the property being
vested in the University. Where applicable, University-owned property is subject to the laws of the State of
Alabama as well as to this policy, and items purchased on contracts and grants are subject to Code of Federal
Regulations (CFR), Chapter II, Part 200, FAR Part 45, and grant agreements.

University-Controlled Property – all property acquired by the University by whatever means, title to the property being
vested in someone other than the University. Where applicable, University controlled property is subject to the
terms and conditions of any contract, grant, agreement, regulation, or other obligation under which the
University assumed possession, as well as to this policy. In addition to University policies, items purchased on
contracts and grants and controlled by the University are subject to Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), Chapter
II, Part 200, FAR Part 45, and grant agreements.

Department – Any budgeted unit of the University or any other function or activity operating under the auspices,
sponsorship, or control of the University’s Board of Trustees.

Department Head
– Any officer, dean, director, chairperson, manager, or similar employee charged with the supervision
of a department.

Property Manager – An employee charged with the responsibility for all equipment matters covered by this policy.


This policy applies to all UA employees.